September 4 is the 247th day of the year. 118 days remain until the end of the year.
- 1241 – Alexander III, king of Scotland (d. 1286)
- 1383 – Felix V, antipope of Rome (d. 1451)
- 1563 – Wanli, Chinese emperor (d. 1620)
- 1776 – Stephen Whitney, American businessman (d. 1860)
- 1901 – William Lyons, English businessman, co-founded Jaguar Cars (d. 1985)
- 1913 – Mickey Cohen, American mob boss (d. 1976)
- 1917 – Henry Ford II, American businessman (d. 1987)
- 1949 – Tom Watson, American golfer and sportscaster
- 1960 – Damon Wayans, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter
- 1981 – Beyoncé, American singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, and actress
- 1986 – Xavier Woods, American wrestler
- 422 – Boniface I, pope of the Catholic Church
- 1323 – Gegeen Khan, Chinese emperor (b. 1302)
- 2014 – Joan Rivers, American comedian, television host, and author (b. 1933)
- 1666 – In London, England, the most destructive damage from the Great Fire occurs.
- 1781 – Los Angeles is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels) by 44 Spanish settlers.
- 1870 – Emperor Napoleon III of France is deposed and the Third Republic is declared.
- 1939 – World War II: William J. Murphy commands the first Royal Air Force attack on Germany.
- 1944 – World War II: Finland exits from the war with Soviet Union.
- 1950 – Darlington Raceway is the site of the inaugural Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
- 1951 – The first live transcontinental television broadcast takes place in San Francisco, from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference.
- 1970 – Salvador Allende is elected President of Chile.
- 1998 – Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.
- 2007 – Three terrorists suspected to be a part of Al-Qaeda are arrested in Germany after allegedly planning attacks on both the Frankfurt International airport and US military installations.
- Eat an Extra Dessert Day
- Global Talent Acquisition Day
- National Macadamia Nut Day
- National Wildlife Day
- National Newspaper Carrier Day