September 7 is the 250th day of the year. 115 days remain until the end of the year.
- 923 – Suzaku, emperor of Japan (d. 952)
- 1533 – Elizabeth I of England (d. 1603)
- 1819 – Thomas A. Hendricks, American lawyer and politician, 21st Vice President of the United States (d. 1885)
- 1923 – Louise Suggs, American golfer, co-founded LPGA (d. 2015)
- 1926 – Samuel Goldwyn Jr., American director and producer (d. 2015)
- 1949 – Gloria Gaynor, American singer-songwriter
- 859 – Emperor Xuānzong of Tang, Chinese emperor (b. 810)
- 1134 – Alfonso the Battler, Spanish emperor (b. 1073)
- 1809 – Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke, Thai king (b. 1737)
- 1871 – Mehmed Emin Aali Pasha, Ottoman politician, 217th Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire (b. 1815)
- 1964 – Walter A. Brown, American businessman, original owner of the Boston Celtics (b. 1905)
- 2018 – Mac Miller, American rapper (b. 1992)
- 1159 – Pope Alexander III is chosen.
- 1303 – Guillaume de Nogaret takes Pope Boniface VIII prisoner on behalf of Philip IV of France.
- 1818 – Carl III of Sweden–Norway is crowned king of Norway, in Trondheim.
- 1822 – Dom Pedro I declares Brazil independent from Portugal on the shores of the Ipiranga Brook in São Paulo.
- 1864 – American Civil War: Atlanta is evacuated on orders of Union General William Tecumseh Sherman.
- 1916 – US federal employees win the right to Workers’ compensation by Federal Employers Liability Act (39 Stat. 742; 5 U.S.C. 751)
- 1945 – The Berlin Victory Parade of 1945 is held.
- 1953 – Nikita Khrushchev is elected first secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
- 1963 – The Pro Football Hall of Fame opens in Canton, Ohio with 17 charter members.
- 1986 – Desmond Tutu becomes the first black man to lead the Anglican Diocese of Cape Town.
- 1996 – Rapper and hip hop artist Tupac Shakur is fatally shot in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada. He succumbs to his injuries six days later.
- 1997 – Maiden flight of the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.
- 2008 – The United States government takes control of the two largest mortgage financing companies in the US, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- 2017 – Equifax announced a cyber-crime identity theft event potentially impacting approximately 1451⁄2 million U.S. consumers.
- Aunt’s Day
- Google Commemoration Day
- National Acorn Squash Day
- National Beer Lover’s Day
- National Hummingbird Day
- Salami Day
- World Beard Day